Friday, October 14, 2011

A Tribute

Well, September turned out  a little different then I expected. My dear Mom went into the hospital on September 9 and I traveled to Florida to be with her on the 11th. What I thought would be a week or two turned  into a month. She was in the hospital for a total of ten days, coming home on her birthday. While she seemed to be rallying, she quickly went down hill. I was hoping she would be able to go to rehab, come home and I would stay with her. Not having any children to take care of this time of my life, it seemed this would work and  I could minister to her in her as long as she needed me.

Unfortunately, there was not much more they could do for her, so on her birthday, I took her home under Hospice. This was her wish and she was so glad to be in her own home then that #$%& hospital bed!  Even though the journey was hard to observe, what a blessing to know she was happy and under such good care by Treasure Coast Hospice. She quietly passed away into the arms of our loving Father on Saturday, September  24th. at 12:12 PM. Now she is rejoicing with my Dad and her dear daughter Eileen.
I'm not sure what year this was taken, but I am guessing mid 70's. Pictured, Mom,Dad and Eileen.

She will be greatly missed, not only me, but her entire family and church family at Hope Lutheran. She always was a "fire cracker". One of a kind. I am blessed to have lots of very sweet memories,  great photos and to be with her at the end of her life here. The Lord gave me the grace to go through this time and for that I am forever thankful. He is an awesome God who has never failed me. He tells us that he will never leave us or forsake us...He certainly has proven that to me many, many times in my 40 years of walking with Him.

My heart is still heavy with grief, but each day I am reminded of how blessed I am to have had her  for 89 years. She would not have wanted me to be sad, but to rejoice in her memory. Thanks Mom for all you did for me my 66 years. I love you more today then I did yesterday...


You were one-of-a-kind, Vera and I will miss you dearly...but someday I will be able to say to you again, "Good Morning, sunshine!" and we will be able to dance together before the throne of our heavenly Father. Love and oodles of kisses,  your daughter Bernadette

1 comment:

Karen Murray said...

Bernadette, I am so sorry about your mom. I know the Lord is a great God and He is there to comfort us during our hardest times even when we feel so alone. I will be praying for you.